Watching March Madness, I can’t help but notice the amount of upsets in the tournament.
I also couldn’t help but notice how poorly my bracket was faring.
- Superior teams were losing to inferior squads.
- Star players were being outplayed by inferior players.
So why is it that there is such unpredictability in sports?
The debate in sports has always been:
What wins championships…players or systems?
Players often like to think that they make the difference in the game. Employees like to think that they make the difference on their projects.
Coaches and managers like to think that the system is more important than the players/employees they use.
So who is right?
The answer is that both sides are.
- Without the right players, no team can win. Without the right team members, no project will succeed.
- Without the right game plan, no team will win. Without the right methodology/plan, no project will succeed.
In the end, the game (and the project) depend on all the pieces aligning correctly:
- You must have the proper vision
- You must work together
- You must have the right team members.
So work your hardest to assemble your team, train them hard, and motivate them to do their best. If you do all of this, you will always give yourself a shot at winning.