Telling a client that you didn’t have access to your computer is not always an option. Technology has allowed PMs to have access to more information more often. One of the most significant technology advances is the smart phone. I personally have an Android smart phone and it has made a big difference in how up-to-speed I am when I am out of the office. To help you take advantage of your Android, I have compiled a list of the top 5 Android apps for project managers.
- Touchdown – application that allows your phone to connect to your company’s Exchange email server. Instantly have access to your email, calendar, and contacts from where ever you are located. Some versions of Android support this natively, but this app is the best email app out there.
- Documents to Go – Microsoft Office documents are ubiquitous in the lives of project managers. Having the ability to view/edit a MS Office document on your phone comes in very handy when you need to update a status report prior to boarding a plane.
- Evernote – Evernote is an application that allows you to record audio notes, take pictures, upload files, and write text notes and then access them later. The best part of the application is that you can sync your PC with your phone so that you have important information no matter where you are located.
- Remember the Milk – I mentioned this service in a previous post “How to keep track of action items“. This app allows you to sync your phone to the web-based service and update items, add items, and receive alerts when changes were made to items.
- Scan2PDF – even as we move into a paperless society, there are still situations where you are handed hardcopy documents. This application allows you to use your phone’s camera to take pictures of the document and covert it automatically to PDF.
Bonus Apps – the apps below also made it onto my phone and I thoroughly enjoy them
- Google voice – auto transcription of my voicemail is my favorite feature
- Audible – leading audio book service is now available on the Android
- Twitter – official app that allows me to access Twitter (no explanation needed) from my phone
- WordPress – allows me to review comments and write blog posts on the fly
- NewsRob – great RSS reader that keeps me in the loop
Let me know if you have other apps that you would recommend to your fellow project managers.